Summary: This guide briefly introduce how to transcode Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF footages to QuickTime MOV files, so that you can playback it on Mac with no jerky.
"I have been supplied a MXF file that has come from Sony PMW-200 camcorder that I want to deliver my current clients to play directly on my new Mac PowerBook. It’s an XDCAM codec, now I 'm using QuickTime Player. I notice they can play a ProRes version without having anything additional installed; but when we tried an XDCAM version, no go. So is there an easy way for them to get a plug-in that will allow Quicktime to play the XDCAM movie file format from PMW-200 without having FCP installed on their laptop? ProRes is great, but it's a rather large file for their laptop."
Just like the users above, you may want to play the xdcam footages from Sony PMW-200 with QuickTime on Mac natively. But, as we know, for video codecs recorded by Sony PMW-200, they are not friendly to QuickTime Player. As I understand from a little digging, I think you need to try trashing the preferences for QT Player. So the best solution is transcode Sony PMW-200 XDCAM files to QT best supported codec. After testing, we found that as long as xdcam video been previously converted to the Quicktime .mov format, you can get Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF video to play with QuickTime easily.
To do this, you need a XDCAM Converter for Mac which is an excellent and valuable software. I have used it to convert my xdcam mxf video files for playback with QuickTime quickly, you can follow the steps below to convert convert Sony PMW-200 XDCAM MXF to QuickTime MOV on Mac.
1. Download Pavtube MXF Converter for Mac, run this program. Click "Add video" or "Add from folder" to load .mxf video files or directly drag the files into file list.
2 . Click "Format" bar to determine output format. Click and choose Common video -> MOV-QuickTime (*.mov). You can also choose other format for output as you want.
3. If you would like to customize the video and audio parameters, you can click "settings", adjust the parameters as you want, like Video Codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, Audio codec, sampling rate, bit rate, channels.
4. Click "Convert" to start.
Pavtube MXF Converter for Mac will convert Sony PMW-200 MXF to QuickTime MOV with best video and audio synchronization.
Is it easy? After conversion, you can use converted files with MOV format and freely view Sony PMW-200 MXF footage with QuickTime Player on Mac.
1. If your MXF files have 2 audio tracks or more, here is a new program specially designed for multi-track preserving and mixing features, named iMixMXF. Featured formats include: MOV/MP4/MPG/WMV/FLV/MKV and more.
2. If you want to convert more different file formats, go to Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac (Buy now with 20% discount!) – an easy-to-use and all-in-one video and audio converter software. It is good at converting various video formats to other format you need, at the same time, ripping and converting latest DVD and Blu-ray disc is also an important function. In a word, it can help you to deal with both various videos and backup DVDs/Blu-ray discs on Mac. Have a try!
Learn more special offer:
ByteCopy($42) + MXF MultiMixer($45) = Only $70 (Save $17)
ByteCopy($42) + iMedia Converter for Mac($65) = Only $80 (Save $27)
Source: How do I play Sony PMW-200 XDCAM footage with Quicktime on Mac